The New Balance 840 is a well cushioned walking shoe that offers some great structural features for a variety of foot types.
With an all-leather upper, this shoe provides heel to toe cushioning with a strong, stable and durable outsole. Unlike running shoes, walking shoes tend to have more material underneath the midfoot (where your arch is). This is important when you need a wide, stable base of support or want a strong base upon which to put an orthotic device.
The New Balance 840 comes in both Men’s and Women’s sizes, and also in various widths. You have a choice of colour, making it a great work shoe for many on-the-go jobs like nursing, retail or restaurant jobs.
Why our Pedorthists love this shoe:
- It works well with an orthotic device, as it has a roomy interior with a full length removable sockliner
- It can be easily stretched, modified or altered for certain conditions or patient needs
- It has a wide, stable base of support, which assists gait efficiency and compliments an orthotic device
- It has a strong heel counter (support for the back of the foot) and smooth forefoot rocker
Other comparable options to this shoe include:
- Saucony Integrity ST2
- Saucony Omni Walker
- Asics Gel Foundation Walker 3
- Brooks Addiction Walker
With any shoe you try on, it should ALWAYS feel comfortable in the store. Although there will be some “break-in” never buy a shoe that is truly uncomfortable when you try it on in store. In order to get the best fit, always wear or bring socks that you would normally be wearing when wearing the shoe you are shopping for. Also, try to shop for shoes closer to the end of the day. Feet swell as the day goes on, so it’s best to try on shoes later on in the day.
Want to know more about what shoe is right for you? Check out our recent post on How to select running shoes, watch the video in the footwear section of our website or contact us today for an appointment with one of our Canadian Certified Pedorthists.