Many people will experience foot pain at some point in their life. By ensuring you keep your feet strong with regular foot strengthening exercises, you can help to relieve pain, improve flexibility and improve the strength of your feet.
Here’s a look at some foot strengthening exercises to strengthen your feet that you can easily do yourself in the comfort of your own home.
Let’s get you back on your feet!
Join the tens of thousands of people we have helped get back on their feet in comfort and style. Come see one of our experts today to start feeling better tomorrow.
- Place a towel on a smooth-surfaced floor (tile, laminate, wood)
- While seated, place your heel at the back of the towel and use your toes to pull the towel towards you, bunching it up beneath your foot.
- To make this more challenging, place a heavy object on the far end of the towel
- As an alternative, reverse the motion by pushing the towel away with the toes at the end of the set.
- Do three sets per foot, daily.
Marble/Pencil Pickup with Toes
- Pick up a marble or a pencil with the toes.
- Hold for count of 5, repeat 5 times per foot
Foot doming (seated and standing)
- Place your feet flat on the floor
- Draw the ball of your big toe towards your heel, while keeping the toes flat on the ground
- Do not curl or flex the toes, keep them relaxed. Raise only the arch of your foot
- Once this is easy while seated, try the exercise in a standing position (one foot at a time for stability)
- Place feet flat on the floor.
- Spread the toes as far as they will go and then return them together.
- For added resistance, use a pedicure toe separator
- Do three sets of ten, up to two times daily
Individual Toe Lifting
- Place feet flat on the floor and try to lift each toe up in turn.
- Aim to keep the others flat on the floor (not easy!)
- Lift each toe, in order, three times per foot, daily
- Place the heel of the foot on a suitable book, and the forefoot on a bathroom scale, ensuring the foot is horizontal as far as possible.
- Press down with the forefoot onto the scale
- Do one set of ten with each foot, daily
- Start with your foot flat on the floor, with equal weight at the heel, ball of the foot and toes
- Raise up the big toe, keeping all four of the little toes flat on the floor, hold for 5 seconds
- Lower the big toe while raising all four of the little toes. Hold for 5 seconds
- Try to complete this motion without rolling or rocking your lower leg; move only the toes.
For more information about how you can strengthen your feet and relieve foot-related pain, get in touch with the certified Pedorthists at SoleScience.